Friday, 27 January 2012

Barbequed Baby Octopus

I've been wanting to try cooking octopus ever since I saw some at the grocery store in December.  Ann informed me this morning that it was my turn to make supper.  I said "sure, we're having octopus!".  If weird looking sea fish with their heads turned inside out makes you squeamish, do not read any further....moah hah haha haha!

I found this recipe online a few weeks ago and today i finally got to try it. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113980290#113983153  This link has 3 different recipes.  I used the recipe called "Grilled Baby Octopus in The Manner of Uncle Nick's.
Cleaning the octopi
I learned that these are commonly called baby octopi but that this is actually a misnomer because they are actually the full sized version of certain species of octopus.  These were already partially cleaned.  The eyes and the beak were removed and there was a slice on the side of their heads where the brains, guts and ink sack are supposed to be removed but they were not and so i did it.
I figured out that if I turned the heads inside out with  my thumb, it was easier to clean them properly.

Inside out octopus head on my thumb. 
Cleaned, rinsed and ready to be blanched in boiling water.
Blanched in boiling water for 90 seconds.  It is neat the way the tentacles all curl up in the boiling water.
Transferring the octopi to the bag of marinade.

Into the refrigerator for a few hours.

Ready for the grill
Dinner is served



This recipe is definitely a keeper.  Out of 14 octopi, only 3 went into the fridge as leftovers.  I didn't find any hiding under the table either and so it is obvious that they were enjoyed by all three of us.

1 comment:

  1. looks tasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you need to test this recipe on someone else when you get back I'm available.

    ReplyDelete