Tuesday, 13 December 2011

Waialea Bay

A rainy day


Allison doing homework on rainy day
On Sunday, it rained all day.  In the afternoon, I decided to ignore the rain and go for a nice easy,  long run down a rural road which I had mapped out.  After about 15 minutes, I decided  that it was raining way too hard and that there were too many big rottweilers in every yard and that I wasn't having fun anymore, and so I turned around and headed back for the car.  On the way back on this paved road, I could see a big 4 X4 truck coming and so I ran about 6 feet off the road and was running parallel to the road when it flew by and sprayed me from toe to chest with water, mud and the manure that was stuck to its big over-sized wheels.  I learned that manure from grass fed cows doesn't smell any better than grain fed manure and that Drifit running wear was not designed to repel cow shit.

Snow and the telescope observatory on top of Mauna Kea, shot from the kitchen window
 On Monday,  the weather was a bit better.  All the moisture, combined with cool weather at the higher elevations, meant that we can now see snow up on Mauna Kea.  In fact, we can see it right from the kitchen window.  Ann and I went to Kona for a few things in the morning.

 This morning, Ann and I went to Waialea Bay.  We learned about this little beach by talking to a few local people.  This is not a place that you'll read about it a travel book.  At least, we had never heard of it.  The beach is a short drive south of Hapuna Beach, down this rough, poorly maintained, barely paved road.  What a beautiful place.  
Second in a series of beaches featuring my feet



Tuesday morning and a peaceful moment at Waialea Bay

I heard that Waialea Bay was a good place to snorkel and so I was very excited about trying out the new, inexpensive, little waterproof digital camera that I had purchased at Costco on Monday.  It's a Fujifilm Finepix XP20.  I had a lot of fun trying out the different features but realized later that the camera would probably take better photos on a sunny day.  Unfortunately,  it was quite cloudy all morning.
I forgot to defog my goggles.  No wonder I can't see anything

A Squid

My finger and some fish


I took this one with the Macro setting.  The subject stayed still long enough for me to take this photo


My camera also takes underwater video

In the afternoon, Ann and I went for a jog and then we went to the Waimea Foodland supermarket to get a few things for supper.  As we were going up and down the aisles in the store, we met Roseanne Barr, from the television show by the same name.  She was looking at the pancake syrup.  Yep, Roseanne Barr buys her own pancake syrup.  I told the teller what we had seen and she told us that Roseanne owns a ranch nearby and is often seen shopping here.  I get the feeling that people are so laid back here that things like celebrity don't phase them.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I can't wait to see more form that camera, and to see that beach for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it's just one adventure after another!!!!!! Keep writing I look forward to reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete