Saturday, 3 December 2011

Allison gets back to work: establishing a routine

Allison working with our pet gecko watching her
On Friday it was time for Allison to buckle down and get back to work.  While she worked on her Spanish course, Ann and I went for a walk around town to get our bearings and buy some dish cloths.  We've noticed in our travels over the years, that not everyone uses dish cloths in their kitchens.  That drives us nuts. 

Ann reading

Ann read a whole book today that she had been saving for Hawaii.  I worked out in the back yard and got a little sun.  Allison had a craving for "salsa mac & cheese" and so that's what we had for supper.  The weather got a little misty and windy Friday evening but the fresh air and sounds put me to sleep by 9:00.

I caught a little sun in the back yard
Ann and I were up at 5:00 am again this morning.  Ann spent a part of the early morning dealing with an email she received concerning Jenna's return trip to Ontario after Christmas.  Things got changed and she will have to spend the night in San Fransisco.  That could be interesting.

Early Breakfast

  Saturday is farmers market day in Hawaii.  There are 2 markets near here and we managed to go to both of them this morning.  Ally and I walked to the first market which is only a mile or so away.  We bought some coffee from our neighbor downstairs who was working at one of the booths.  We also came home with some passion fruit jelly.  We came home for Ann and then drove to the bigger farmers market just outside of town.  At this market we picked up some lettuce, a variety of tomatoes and some overpriced fudge.  Note to self:  overpriced fudge makes girls happy.   We had lunch at the market.  The girls had crepes with some kind of dressing, artichoke hearts, avocados, mozza and shrimp, while I had a dish of barbeque back bacon prepared by an old woman who's children, I imagine,  were most certainly well fed and barrel shaped.
Turkeys run past Ally and I as we walk to the farmers market


I took this shot for you, Jenna


This Photo I took for Barb.  It's Pippa's cousins


All that food meant that Ann and I had to go for a run.  While Ally got back into her school work this afternoon, Ann and I went for a run.  Ann ran with me for a few miles and then turned back.  I had it in my mind to do 10 km today but didn't realize how much of a challenge that  would be in this town, with all the hills.  It took me over 52 minutes which is kinda slow but it was a heck of a workout.  I know Craig would love running here because of the hills, but I might have to drive and park out of town to run on easier terrain.
Picking oranges in our yard

Picking avocados in our yard


Barrie, our landlady, planted us a garden in the backyard before we got here.  We thought that was so nice.

Behind the house

Tonight was the annual Christmas parade in Waimea.  All the floats were decorated with Christmas lights powered by gas generators.  It was awesome to see big tractor trailers and fire trucks etc. all decked out with lights.
Lights on a cattle trailer



















1 comment: