Sunday, 18 December 2011

Trip to Hilo

Allison taking a break

Prior to arriving in Hawaii, I asked the owner or the house if there would be a barbeque in the yard for us.  She let me know that there would be one.  However, I was not expecting to find a brand new one waiting for us.  We finally broke in the barbeque on Friday night with some Hawaiian grown steak.

On Saturday we decided that it was time for Allison to get away from her school work and so we made the trip to Hilo to see their renowned farmers market.  After buying an assortment of fruit, candy, soap, some cute earrings for  Allison and stocking up on 100% Kona coffee, we had lunch at a little Italian cafe.

Buying soap from the Filthy Farmgirl

After Ally had purchased some earrings, the rain started pouring down like it often does in Hilo.  We waited it out under the tents.  Once the rain let up, we retrieved our umbrellas from the car and resumed walking around this part of Hilo

Oh my God!  Look at all the candy

CANDY CANDY CANDY!!!!!
We don't know what these are, but they sure taste good


Except for the avocados which we picked from our yard, this is some of what we came home with from the Hilo farmers market.
On the way back to Waimea, we stopped to see the Akaka Falls.  It was raining hard when we got there and there were a lot of soaking wet people walking around and so it was very fortunate for us that we had actually remembered to pack our umbrellas in the morning.  It did eventually stop raining while we were there and we had a very pleasant walk on the trail which loops through the rain forest and gives you incredible views of two different falls in the park.
Today, we love our umbrellas




Huge tree stump

Akaka Falls


4 comments:

  1. Where is the story of the race and your results?? We are dying to hear how your first "official" race went and your observations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is coming. I'm just waiting for the race website to post the results so that I can attach the link to the blog. Just to let you know, I am over the moon happy with my results. What a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fruit is a rambutan. I never tried them but I wish I would have. Another fruit that I did eat while we were there was a Lilikoi. I just came across it when I googled fruits of hawaii. I had totally forgotten about it. Actually I think it's in your basket!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Jason, those are lilikoi. The common name for it is passion fruit.

    ReplyDelete