Saturday, 4 February 2012

First few days of February

On Thursday, we had to go to the airport to deal with some car rental issues and so we decided to let Allison take a break from her school work so that she could come with us to Kona for lunch.  We went back to Humpy's Big Island Alehouse because I just love their fish tacos.
We got a table on the second level with a nice ocean view.



After lunch, we spent some time just exploring along the bay.
Humpy's Big Island Alehouse



We have noticed that in all of the bigger resorts you cannot find any coconuts in the trees because they are removed before they get too big.  They worry about people getting them on top of their heads.  It does happen.

Ally's artistic coral creation
 We drove back to Waimea on Hwy 190 rather than on our usual route of Hwy 19, along the coast.  This took us up into some higher country.  We stopped at the Makalei golf course to have a look.  It looks interesting.

On Friday morning, Ann and I went for a nice 2 hour walk.  I was very happy to be able to do this since pulling or tearing or cramping up one of my calf muscles last Saturday.  I was limping around all week, but the leg seemed to be getting better and so I was looking forward to a good walk.


We took part of our walk on the Waimea stream trail.  This is the trail head on one end of the trail.
 On our walk, we came across these monuments which were erected in honor of the war effort displayed by this town during the second world war.

In the afternoon, my leg seemed to be holding out and so I decided to go and hit some balls at the driving range.  When I got there, they were embarrassed to tell me that they didn't have any balls at the moment because the old fella who usually picks them up, was late for work.  Since I was there already and they told me that it wasn't that busy, I decided to go and golf a round instead.  After noon, I can do 18 holes, with a cart, for $45.  I think think that's a pretty good deal.
While waiting for the 2 guys ahead of me, I took a photo.

Some wild turkeys that ran across the fairway

I came within a couple of inches from pegging one off with my tee shot.  That spooked them a little bit and made me laugh

Golfing alone just isn't as much fun as with your buddies which is probably why I haven`t been golfing as much as I thought I would.  It was kind of nice when I caught up to a couple of 60 year old gentleman from Anchorage, Alaska and they asked me to join them.  They had just arrive on the island the night before and when I caught up to them, they were on their second round of the day.  I was amused with how giddy with excited they were as they explained how it`s been extremely cold in Anchorage (as cold as 60 below) lately.  They were having a ball but I think that after their 36th hole, they had had enough for the day.  I would bet that they were quite sore the next day.

I learned something about golf today.  I did not realize just how much of a full body exercise it actually is.  My leg felt good before I started the round.  Even though I had a cart with me, around hole 10 my leg started hurting again.  I didn`t realize just how much my legs are used in my swing.  By the time I was done golfing, I was hobbling around again.

No comments:

Post a Comment