On Thursday, I met the Dargis family at Hapuna Beach for a few more hours of boogie board fun while Ann and Allison stayed in Waimea. The waves were a lot bigger than the last time we had been out and so we had a great time.
Our family and the Dargis family had reservations for an evening at the Kahua Ranch. http://www.kahuaranch.com/activities/eveningunderthestars This ranch is not far from Waimea and so I invited the Dargis family to our house to shower and get ready for our evening out. Our families were the first to arrive at the ranch and it looked like we were going to have a quiet, quaint little evening until two huge coach tour buses showed up with close to 200 grey haired people who were ready to party and even more so when they discovered the open bar. I was disappointed about forgetting our good camera because I missed out on a great opportunity to get some great footage of some Old Ladies Gone Wild.
I had to settle for some rather poor photos taken with Ann's IPhone. This camera takes lousy shots in the evening. I must say that this ranch is located in an absolutely beautiful place and that the view of the sun going down into the ocean with the rolling green pastures in the foreground is stunning.
Laurier Dargis and I at the Kahua Ranch with horses and many many head of cattle in the distance
This farm cat, sensing that Ally was missing her cat, made it to Ally's lap as soon as we arrived.
Mr. Richards, who's family owns the ranch, welcomed us to the ranch and then entertained us by explaining the history and function of the ranch.
Raising cattle is obviously the primary function of the ranch but they also raise many sheep. I found it interesting to learn that there is a noxious weed which was accidentally introduced here which is harmful to cattle and horses. Sheep however, can eat these weeds without getting sick and so they are put into the pastures first to clear the weeds before the other livestock is put into the rotation.
We enjoyed a wonderful barbequed steak and chicken dinner in the open air with a beautiful view of the sun going down into the ocean with live country music playing. After dinner there was some line dancing and other activities to take part in. Larry and I found the horseshoe pits and did our best not to "shoe" the drunk old ladies who kept wondering into our line of fire.
Mr. Richards was trying to teach us how to throw a rope but his pet wild pig kept interrupting him. He caught this pig when it weighed only 3 lbs and today it seems to be the star of the show. He thinks he's a dog and just wonders around hoping people will pet him.
No comments:
Post a Comment