In our time spent in and around Waimea I've really come to appreciate the local people and the way they seem to respect one another. There is a close knit family type feeling here and its even reflected in their language. For instance, if I didn't know better, when listening to people you could get the impression that everyone is related. I say this because younger people always address their elders by calling them Auntie or Uncle even though they are not related. Along with this, hugs and kisses flow freely. Respect is a big thing here and you don't need to be Hawaiian to be treated with respect. As I was walking into Starbucks a few days ago, a big Hawaiian man opened the door for me and said " after you brother". This really made an impression on me. If we all treated our neighbors like Aunties, Uncles, brothers and sisters, wouldn't we be living in a better place?
Speaking of the language used here, I love some of the little phrases that you hear. They tend to abbreviate phrases and say them in the most simple way. For example when people meet, you hear them ask, "how's it?" Or, when they invite you for a visit they say "you should come by" or "come on by" or simply "come by".
No comments:
Post a Comment